I have a lot of requests for inclusion into my social media sphere, and I have to admit that although I don’t want to appear excessively exclusive, I am fairly selective. The reason for this is that I want to keep my social networks useful and interesting. I am strapped for time, same as everyone else and I can’t afford the time to sift through millions of comments and things. I make a point of replying to everyone and interacting with as many of my followers, friends and contacts as I can. I want to deliver useful and interesting content to them, whilst acknowledging that I appreciate having them there.
I thought it would be good to post my social media policy to avoid offending people and also because I’d like to know how you guys feel about your accounts and how you manage them.
I’m a big Twitter fan and am active on a daily basis. I share news, ideas, answer and ask questions. I like to build good rapport with people there.
I will only follow:
- people who are involved in research, seo, online marketing in general and tech – and comics
- people who don’t constantly pimp their products and services (even subtly)
- people who don’t brag about how many followers they have and can’t come up with a sensible reason for having so many
- people who don’t use bad language
- people who obviously use Twitter to make money and thus every Tweet is directly or indirectly related to that
- people who don’t retweet news but rather nab it and tweet it themselves – that’s rude
- This is only for my friends, people who I have met and spent a significant length of time getting to know.
- Exclusively for business contacts: people I have worked with, people I want to work with and people who share similar research interests
- I’m far more liberal with this, pretty much anyone is free to jump in – apart from spammers and product pimps.
- This community is very relaxed but highly educated and professional as well as friendly. If you’re there, you’re pretty much safe to connect with!
- The Mendeley community is full of interesting researchers and scientists and so far I have connected with everyone – it’s a great community.
I think that’s it for me! By all means come by and connect if you fall into the correct categories! Click the icons to find my profile on the networks.
I don’t give out VIP passes but I need to do some crowd control or my networks become unusable.
On the flipside, I don’t take it personally if you choose to unfollow or whatever the correct term if for a particular network – we all need to manage our virtual worlds.