I don’t usually blog about things unless I feel I really have something to add to the current discussion and in the case of Bing I don’t think I do. I haven’t had much time to play with Bing and evaluate it as it deserves to be, so the following is a short list of my initial impressions:
- Love the preview box that pops up with text
- Really like the links on this page in that text box too
- Related searches are good
- Interface and layout are nothing special
- Advanced search (which I use a lot) is nicer in Bing than in Google (Regional search option is cool) but where is the date filter?
- Sometimes Bing has far more results than Google for a search (“Surfboard shaping”)
- For that particular search I find the Bing results more interesting
- Image search is sssssslick. The filters work well, apart from “face” which isn’t always great
- I just don’t like the layout of the shopping section – it doesn’t fit with the others
- Video search is way cool – loving all the functionality there
- Maps is nice, it works just fine and at 1st glance has all the functrionality of Google maps – the “useful info” bit is a nice touch – shame it keeps crashing on me.
- Bing indexes sooo fast!
- I don’t like the logo
- Bing is softer on the eye somehow
My main question:
Why is it a “decision engine”? It is not helping me decide anhything at all, it’s delivering results, exactly like any other search engine.
Do I like it?
What’s not to like?
Do I prefer it to Google?
It’s hard to say in less than 5mins
Does it have a chance?
Why not. This is one of the best search engine Betas I’ve seen in ages.